Welcome to Jerry Lewis Fans
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Ed McMahon Math

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Guest_debello_*

Guest_debello_*
  • Guests
I did the math and figured out something certainly worth noting about Ed McMahon which has been lost in all the talk about his money matters.

Ed said on Larry King's CNN show that he fell and broke his neck 18 months ago. So, that would mean that Ed did Telethon 2007 not only with a broken neck but also without wearing that neckbrace.

That does explain why he seemed off his fastball, especially early in the show (although he got stronger later). There had to be a lot of medicating going on just to stand up.

On top of that (correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't Ed still do an hour or two more than Jerry?

cornelius

cornelius

• Moderation Staff
  • 260 posts
My theory is this:

The two surgeries he's had for his neck I bet were following Telethon 2007. Maybe he originally injured his neck last year, and something happened later that aggravated the injury requiring surgery.

Not only on the telethon but also when appearing on Larry King in Aug 07 (about Merv Griffin's death) and on the Today Show two weeks following the telethon he did not have a neckbrace.

Ed has never been reported in the press as wearing a neckbrace until this year (I think this March). I wonder if the wearing of the neckbrace started after the surgeries.

Ed has always pulled in a few more hours than Jerry in recent years, although Ed's anchor role allows him to pace himself.

MarkLEbert

MarkLEbert

Veteran

• Veterans
  • 1,762 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Ladies Man
I'm of the opinion that he actually DIDN'T injury his neck 18 months ago. I think he and Jerry just do senile-type jokes (something I wish they would stop). I think they're both doing great; Jerry is planning a Broadway show and Ed wrote a book and AFTER the Telethon (07) began to promote it. So I don't think his neck was broken at all 18 months ago, not even 12 months ago (as the Telethon hasn't been a year ago yet). I think it happened 8 months ago and he mistakenly added ten months.

Joe548

Joe548

JL Historian Extraordinaire

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Hardly Working
If he actually broke his neck 8 months ago and mistakenly added 10 months to the time, then he really IS senile! wacko.gif

mrwallee

mrwallee

Senior

• Veterans
  • 3,206 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Boeing Boeing
According to E!, he broke his neck in March 2007. I'm wondering why "for legal reasons" he won't disclose any more details.

http://www.eonline.c...2d-201dc3fe50ba

Guest_debello_*

Guest_debello_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(Joe548 @ Jun 8 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he actually broke his neck 8 months ago and mistakenly added 10 months to the time, then he really IS senile! wacko.gif

Can we all try to keep some class around here. A comment like that is something you usually see at AOL.

Boobalack

Boobalack

Resident Curmudgeoness and Picker of Nits Extraordinaire

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The King of Comedy
Maybe the legal reasons have to do with how or where he broke his neck. Could there be a lawsuit involved? Just guessing.

Can we all try to keep some sense of humor here? After all, Big Ed and JL both make jokes about being old and senile. Lord love 'em. We're just glad they're still with us, old and senile and warts and all.

oh doctah

oh doctah

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Sailor Beware
Boo, I agree. Ed is probably involved in some sort of slip and fall law suit. I hope that is the case and he can garner some sort of settlement so he can use the money to pay his bills, keep his house and not be evicted and thrown out on the street.
What a horrible thought that this great man could end up homeless with his wife and seven dogs. unsure.gif
I worry though, if there is a lawsuit, many times when a victim of Ed's age is involved the party being sued will have their lawyers drag it out as long as possible hoping that the victim will just die in the meantime. The situation comes to mind when the great jazz singer Peggy Lee was suing The Disney Company over profits from the sales of video tapes and dvds of the animated classic "Lady and the Tramp" in which she provided her voice and songs. In the original contract with Walt Disney she was to share in the profits of any rerelease of the film. Well, the team of Disney lawyers gave her the works and strung it out for years until she died. And as far as I know Peggy Lee or her family never received a penny in that case.

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
That is a terrible possibility. All we can do it hope everything works out okay for him.

oh doctah

oh doctah

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Sailor Beware
HOORAY for JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J-Clapping.gif

http://www.hollywood...McMahon/5253098

NuttyJerryFan

NuttyJerryFan

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 2,421 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Cinderfella
Awesome news!

whistling.gif

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
Good!

mrwallee

mrwallee

Senior

• Veterans
  • 3,206 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Boeing Boeing
smile.gif

audi

audi

Senior

• Veterans
  • 5,242 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Which Way To The Front?
QUOTE(oh doctah @ Jun 12 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HOORAY for JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J-Clapping.gif
http://www.hollywood...McMahon/5253098

So what if it's more en vogue to be a Letterman fan, Jay Leno, publicly, has been a nothing short than a class act...

...from when he took over Johnny's show to this gesture -- and I'm sure beyond.

When Johnny Carson died, Ed was on Leno that same week -- no theories why he was not on Letterman's superb tribute to Johnny.

Now, with that said...

...ANYBODY can fall victim to financial precariousness.

Ed'll be OK, nonetheless!

Even our beloved Sammy died while still paying for his home.

And, while I'm at it, Elvis -- who should've been worth hundreds of millions -- only had a couple mil' in one or two bank accounts when he passed on.

I think "born performers" function believing they can always survive.

Uncle_R

Uncle_R

Senior

• Veterans
  • 3,084 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Ladies Man
Jay was even sweet enough to publicize his generosity! shy.gif

Sorry! Someone had to inject a tiny measure of cynicism into this story. It doesn't take away from the gesture. And I'm sure Jay really is a good guy.

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
I didn't know it was more en vogue to be a Letterman fan, but then there's so much I don't know.

I do, however, have the urge at times to send a note to Leno, et alii, that perhaps they'd better go look in a mirror before they start insulting others by calling them ugly. newroll.gif

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
From TMZ:

Ed's Wife-- Shopping Him Into the Poorhouse
Posted Jun 17th 2008 12:00PM by TMZ Staff

The one word that's turning Ed McMahon from baller to beggar: Plastic.

Sources tell us Pamela, Ed's wife of 16 years, is literally spending him onto the street. We hear she's completely "oblivious" to their cash troubles, and shops like their life depended on it. Her AmEx bill is legendary -- the couple reportedly owes them nearly $750K.

That's an issue for Ed's friends, who are conflicted about bailing him out. They don't want to see their 85-year-old friend foreclosed on, but they're also not thrilled about supporting Pamela's passion for Prada.

Ed's rep says Pamela's not "extravagant."

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
The saga continues. Personally I don't buy the "I haven't worked in 18 months because of my broken neck" story. Ed does many commercials. Most are voiceovers. You don't even have to be on camera for that. It just sounds like bad planning and an extravagant wife.

Citibank sues Ed McMahon for outstanding debts

Jun 20, 7:48 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Citibank is suing Ed McMahon, seeking to recoup nearly $200,000 lent to the financially strapped Hollywood icon, court records show. Citibank filed the lawsuit against McMahon in Los Angeles Superior Court on June 9, according to the documents. The bank's suit seeks at least $179,687 in damages as well as attorney's fees on debt incurred within the past four years.

The former "Tonight Show" sidekick and "Star Search" host has faced mounting money problems since it was revealed earlier this month that he was $644,000 behind on payments on his Beverly Hills home. The lender, Countrywide Financial Corp. (CFC), filed a default notice on the home in late February.

McMahon's publicist Howard Bragman said Friday that the McMahons had not yet been served with the lawsuit and will not comment on their personal finances.

McMahon and his wife, Pamela, went on CNN'S Larry King Live earlier his month and described a litany of financial troubles, including a poor economy and McMahon's inability to work as a pitchman since he broke his neck 18 months ago.

"If you spend more money than you make, you know what happens," McMahon told King.

A phone message left with the San Jose, Calif., law firm representing Citibank was not immediately returned Friday.

The Citibank lawsuit was first reported by the entertainment news Web site CelebTV.com.

http://apnews1.iwon..../D91E453O0.html

NuttyJerryFan

NuttyJerryFan

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 2,421 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Cinderfella
Since this story has nothing to do with the Telethon - it's been moved to the Hollywood thread...

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
I've been thinking this for quite a while, so I might as well express it. Have you ever noticed that many "big men" in the entertainment business lose their (_!_)'s by always chasing after and marrying younger women? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad some of Big Ed's friends (Jay Leno -- maybe more(?)) are helping him out, but where were they when we lost everything but our house and one old beat up car during the "Oil Boom Bust" in Oklahoma? unsure.gif

By the way, we worked hard to clear up our credit, finally paid off the house (such as it is), can get anything we want on credit, but we don't have the $$ to repay a large loan, the knowledge of which is key here, so I suppose the car we now have will have to last us until we die. It's a good thing I like it! smile.gif Too bad "wealthy" people haven't learned to spend within their means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users