Welcome to Jerry Lewis Fans
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Joey Bishop's 90th Birthday

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Guest_Findersassets_*

Guest_Findersassets_*
  • Guests
[b]April 2, 2007

To All Members,

I was speaking to someone today and I hoping to get an opinion of all the members here:

The Last of the Rat Pack Member's comedian Joey Bishop will have his 90th birthday next Februarysome of his close friends and I where thinking of doing something very special like a television Gala special with family and friends
Maybe a retrospect of his life and career

Was wondering how anyone here would feel about this:

Would love to hear your opinions about this:

Any ideas or suggestion you may have as to how to go about doing something like this:

How much should be charged and if any of you would be interested in attending if this were to happen:

Looking to get some kind of poll here as to what you all think of this idea

Thanks so much
Annie

Joe548

Joe548

JL Historian Extraordinaire

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Hardly Working
What are all those crazy symbols that are always in all your posts? wacko.gif

Guest_Findersassets_*

Guest_Findersassets_*
  • Guests
Joe,

What Crazy symbols are you speaking of?

I didn't put anything in the messages expect the message itself.

If there is something in the messages that are symbols that is how it comes from this website NOT ME.

Annie

Boobalack

Boobalack

Resident Curmudgeoness and Picker of Nits Extraordinaire

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The King of Comedy
I'm sure he's talking about all the extra [b], [/u], etc. The site does not add anything to anyone's post. The software is not set up that way. The poster must either click on something or type something for it to be in his or her post.

Boo white_cat.gif

LeefromNJ

LeefromNJ

• Veterans
  • 386 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Ladies Man
i don't see the symbols...

anyway...IMHO...is Joey Bishop big enough to warrent a TV GALA??

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
Apparently, the post has been edited because now there's only one stray [b] immediately in front of the date and there are no bolded or underlined sections.

Joey Bishop at one time would have been big enough, but I doubt many people today even care. I always liked him and would watch some tribute on television, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pay to attend an event.

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
I remember the old Joey Bishop sitcom that lasted a couple of seasons in the early 60's. It had Sid Melton (Alf from Green Acres) as his manager. Then Joey went to his ABC late night talk show with Regis as his Ed McMahon.
His humor was always so dry (son of a gun!) but I really found out at an early age I had a problem with losers or quitters. I remember watching his talk show when he quit. It reminded me of when Jack Paar quit. I have a problem with that. I don't know why. Imagine almost 40 years later I'm still holding a grudge! Must be the Italian in me. Maybe I will make a few calls and get him whacked. newroll.gif
Joey was in the Tonight show audience once when JL guest-hosted. Jerry said "Hello Mr. Bishop".
Also at the 10th anniversary of the Tonight Show, October 1972, both JL and JB were live guests. I have the Tonight Show record album that has clips of stars from the shows over the years. It includes this show from 72. Johnny was making fun of the telethon from the previous month and said he had one coming out for prickly heat. Joey piped in and said, "No one could hate a man for raising 10 million dollars for muscular dystrophy", and everyone applauded.
34 years later and we went over the $60 million mark!! jerry.gif jerry.gif

Enigma

Enigma

• Veterans
  • 713 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Geisha Boy
Too late Joe, Mr. Parr is pretty much past on.

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
Psst! It's Paar, not Parr. white_cat.gif

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
Yes that's true. It's Paar. We have a local company up here by the name of Parr, so that always screws me up. But I do know he died already, but it's not too late for me to get JB whacked!

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
I have a couple of people I'd like to have whacked, too. May I send you my list? teehee.gif

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
You send me that list over. If I don't have them whacked, I'll make them an offer they can't refuse! newroll.gif

Kate

Kate

• Veterans
  • 722 posts
Many other members of this board, if they had started a discussion, even jokingly about "whacking", would have been suspended. Somehow, Joe seems to get away with more meanness than is tolerated of other people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I can't believe the moderator tolerates and even encourages it.

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
Kate, there have been only two members temporarily suspended, but it was for much worse than joking about "whacking" somebody. One of them chose not to return, but the other one was willing to accept the second chance that was offered, has been visiting again and has posted a few times since the unfortunate incident. Sometimes things go on behind the scenes that the members, in general, are not aware of, such as private discussions about situations that arise, since we do not desire to embarrass anyone. Surely you don't think either one of us, Joe or I, was serious? If you do, then you are sadly mistaken. Heck, even Mr. Lewis has done jokes in his movies about such things. For the record, I'm pretty sure Joe wouldn't have anyone "whacked" in real life, even if he had the means to do so. I'm sorry you were offended. If you think we are way out of line, please contact Josť about it. This is his site, and he is the final authority. Thanks.

Edited to ask, what other "meanness" does Joe get away with? True, he has made some rather brusque statements, but so have others. He and I have not always seen eye to eye, and there have been a couple of times when I have said a little something about it. But, we forgive and forget and life goes on.

Cheers!

Edited by Boobalack, 03 April 2007 - 09:38 PM.

Kate

Kate

• Veterans
  • 722 posts
Joe and Boo,

I'm sure neither of you were serious in your jokes about "whacking." Perhaps it was just the shock value in the word that startled me. I'm glad you were joking about JB and not JL!

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
Thanks, Kate. I'm truly sorry if you were offended. We meant no harm.

Uncle_R

Uncle_R

Senior

• Veterans
  • 3,068 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Ladies Man
On a lighter note... I think, if I have the years right, that Carson was not only being a little bit mean making fun of the telethon, but he was pulling a Milton Berle. Steve Allen did a great skit about a telethon for prickly heat (where the main joke was that no money was coming in). But maybe Steve's came after. I'm sure he wrote a song about it at some point too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users