Welcome to Jerry Lewis Fans
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Ed McMahon Math

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Joe548

Joe548

JL Historian Extraordinaire

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Hardly Working
Update:

Ed McMahon recovering from neck surgery

Jul 11, 5:58 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ed McMahon was recuperating Friday following his third neck surgery.

The 85-year-old former "Tonight" show sidekick previously said he had injured himself in a fall before the possible foreclosure of his multimillion-dollar Beverly Hills house.

"Ed had his third and hopefully final neck surgery today at an L.A. hospital," McMahon's publicist Howard Bragman told The Associated Press on Friday. "He's awake, alert and resting comfortably, and the McMahon family is grateful for all the prayers and good wishes."

McMahon appeared in a neck brace on CNN's "Larry King Live" on June 5 and said he had stopped working since he broke his neck in a fall 18 months ago. Citibank filed suit June 20 against McMahon seeking to recoup nearly $200,000 lent to the former pitchman for the American Family Publishers' sweepstakes and "Star Search" host. McMahon was $644,000 behind on payments on his Beverly Hills home.

Boobalack

Boobalack

Resident Curmudgeoness and Picker of Nits Extraordinaire

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The King of Comedy
Eighty-five years old, three surgeries for a broken neck and facing motgage foreclosure -- and I think I've got problems!
Good luck, Big Ed.

mrwallee

mrwallee

Senior

• Veterans
  • 3,206 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Boeing Boeing
Ed McMahon Sues Over Neck Injury

Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm US/Pacific
LOS ANGELES (AP) ―
Ed McMahon sued a hospital, two doctors and an investment tycoon Friday over a neck injury he has said has left him unable to work, a circumstance he has blamed for his recent money woes.
The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount, claiming negligence, battery, elder abuse and intentional infliction of emotional distress. It was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court against Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, two doctors, and the owner of a home where he says he fell in March 2007.
The former "The Tonight Show" sidekick claims that Cedars-Sinai and its doctors originally discharged him with a broken neck and didn't adequately conduct two surgeries. McMahon's suit states his cardiologist later discovered that his neck was broken.
Cedars-Sinai has not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on the allegations, said Simi Singer, a hospital spokeswoman.
Also named in the lawsuit is Robert Day, who owns an investment firm and has been on Forbes' list of richest Americans in previous years, and his wife. McMahon claims a ramp-like staircase where he attended a dinner party was "unsafe" because it was poorly lit and lacked handrails.
A message left after hours at Day's company was not returned Friday afternoon.
The lawsuit gives new insights into the neck injuries McMahon discussed in a recent appearance on "Larry King Live." McMahon, 85, explained that he was unable to work as a pitchman because of his injuries -- and that is why he fell $644,000 behind on mortgage payments on his Beverly Hills home.
"If you spend more money than you make, you know what happens," McMahon said at the time. "You know, a couple of divorces thrown in, a few things like that. And, you know, things happen."
McMahon has had to undergo three surgeries to try to repair his neck, the lawsuit states. The most recent one was performed on July 11.
McMahon's suit includes letters mailed earlier this year to the hospital informing them a lawsuit could be filed.
"We had hoped to avoid a lawsuit, but our discussions were not fruitful and we were left with no other option. That being said, we believe our suit has great merit and we expect a favorable resolution," said Howard Bragman, spokesman for Ed McMahon.
McMahon's mounting money problems include a lawsuit against him by Citibank, which is trying to recoup nearly $200,000 it said it loaned McMahon and his wife, Pam.
( 2008 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed)

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
I guess if all else fails, you sue. I don't believe it's anyones fault but his own.

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Delicate Delinquent
I guess that is true. I guess it's hard to save money when you make so much, you just want to spend it. And because you make so much you think you will never have any problems financially, until something like this happens. I wish him the best of luck that he will not lose everything. I thought I had heard several months back that Jay Leno and the crew from The Tonight Show were getting together to raise money to help him out? Or was that just a rumor? dunno.gif

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
That info was posted on the first page of this thread. It has a link if you'd like to read about it.

I haven't heard anything else, though. Does anyone have any further information?

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
I seen Ed on the new Celebrity Family Fued last night. He was wearing the neck brace. He looked pretty good, but he didn't answer the questions too good. His team did end up winning though. They played for a charity that sends kids to college. Can't remember what the name of the charity was. Al asked him how he was doing because there's been a lot in the news. He said he was doing good. But what is he supposed to say anyway. I bet he could've used that money instead of the charity. They won $50,000.

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
Ed looked like he was sleeping. He didn't answer one question and time ran out every time. Thanks to his grand-daughter who saved the day. Ed's wife Pam is a silly flit. She came across as a total air-head. It makes you realize how many actors seem somewhat dumb when they have to talk off the cuff and not just memorize lines that were written for them.
As I said before, Ed is a voice-over guy. He doesn't need to be seen. If they wanted his work, the neck brace should have nothing to do with it.

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
I have to agree. His wife did seem like she was too silly. How much younger is she than him? Because she looked like she could've been her son's sister, not mother. I'm sure she's had plenty of work though. Maybe that's why Ed's bankrupt! LOL.

spocky2001

spocky2001

Student, Educator, Moderator & All Around Nice Guy!

• Moderation Staff
  • 1,259 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Cinderfella
Does Ed look like he'll be in shape for this year's thon?

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
He doesn't look like he's been in shape for the past 3 telethons!

Joe548

Joe548

• Site Contributor
  • 9,122 posts
Now the truth behind the neck brace comes out:

McMahon works as pitchman for Kimmel in-show spots

Jul 25, 6:21 PM (ET)

By DERRIK J. LANG

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ed McMahon has a job. The former "Tonight Show" sidekick is reprising his role as pitchman with several comical commercial segments during "Jimmy Kimmel Live." The first of four spots, which were filmed Thursday evening and feature McMahon and Jimmy Kimmel together, will air Monday during the late-night ABC talk show.

"It felt very good to be out of the brace and working again," McMahon, who recently underwent a third neck surgery, said during a telephone interview Friday morning. "I spent my whole life doing commercials, so here I was back doing a commercial again. It was very comforting. Believe me."

In the four segments for Pontiac, McMahon and Kimmel point out the various amenities of the Pontiac G8, G5, G6 and Vibe. One of the spots features McMahon - who once pitched Budweiser and the American Family Publishing sweepstakes - teaching Kimmel how to properly sell a product. Another has the duo preparing for a road trip to Mexico.

"I went in like a professional to do a commercial, like I've done a million times in my life in my long career," McMahon said. "That's what I went in to do. Of course, we had fun with it. There's one where Kimmel's locked up in the trunk, and I'm pretending to be Jimmy Kimmel. It was fun, but we're still selling a product."

The 85-year-old former "Star Search" host is currently embroiled in a lawsuit against Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, two doctors and the owner of a home where he says he fell during a dinner party in March 2007 claiming negligence, battery, elder abuse and intentional infliction of emotional distress. He is seeking unspecified damages, claiming the injury left him unable to work - until now.

"I'm optimistic," he said. "I feel we're going to get this straightened out. I look forward to those days."

Last month, McMahon revealed he was fighting foreclosure after falling $644,000 behind on mortgage payments on his Beverly Hills home. His financial woes also include a lawsuit against him by Citibank, which is trying to recoup nearly $200,000 it said it loaned McMahon and his wife, Pam.

"I'm sure things are going to work out," McMahon said.

NuttyJerryFan

NuttyJerryFan

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 2,421 posts
If he's doing commercials, his voice must be much better than it was last year at the Telethon.

This year should be much better.

whistling.gif

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
Well, at least he's working again. Let's hope he can pay his bills now. Gee, at his age you'd think he would be able to retire. I don't know, on the Fued he didn't really seem like himself yet. I thought he was still kind of mumbling his words. blink.gif

oh doctah

oh doctah

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Sailor Beware
I saw the first of the Jimmy Kimmel and Ed commercials for Pontiac. It was hilarious J-Clapping.gif .
Good to see ol' Ed back on his feet sharing quips with young Kimmel.
And thank you Jimmy Kimmel for hiring Ed and appreciating his talent.
I think Jimmy Kimmel is the best late night show host in the business today.
Keep up the great work Jimmy! smile.gif

I hope Ed can get his finances in order. It bewilders me though that there is no word
from Johnny Carson's young widow. I wonder what she's doing with the reported 200 million
that Johnny left her after he passed away. You would think that she could throw a mil
or two Ed's way. unsure.gif I bet if Johnny was still alive that this situation would have been
all resolved behind closed doors and Ed would not have had to go public with this.

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
That is so very true. If Johnny were here, we would've never even known about it at all. I wonder if Jerry is helping him a little bit too, and we just don't know it. smile.gif

NuttyJerryFan

NuttyJerryFan

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 2,421 posts
Can anyone tell me if Ed sounds like his old self or not?

Thanks

spocky2001

spocky2001

Student, Educator, Moderator & All Around Nice Guy!

• Moderation Staff
  • 1,259 posts
Ed sounded like his old self. I saw the ad myself on TV last night... it was hillarious...

He appeared much healthier than he did on last years Telethon for sure...

Boobalack

Boobalack

• Site Momma
  • 7,743 posts
I haven't seen the commercial, but it does lift my spirits to know that Big Ed looks and sounds better. Keep on keepin' on, big guy.

oh doctah

oh doctah

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:Sailor Beware
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former television star Ed McMahon's financial and legal woes worsened on Wednesday -- as well as fighting to save his home from foreclosure, he is now being sued for not paying a lawyer hired for his daughter.

McMahon, 85, long-time sidekick to talk show host Johnny Carson, failed to pay divorce attorney Norman Solovay $275,168, according to the lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court.

McMahon and his wife, Pamela, hired Solovay to represent Linda Schmerge, his daughter from another relationship, in a "matrimonial matter," said Solovay's lawyer, Michael Shanker.

A representative for McMahon, most famous for his 30 years of introducing Carson with his trademark "Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny" and hosting popular TV talent show "Star Search" in the '80s and '90s, was not immediately available for comment.

McMahon has been fighting to save his multimillion dollar Beverly Hills home from foreclosure since February, when his mortgage lenders filed a notice of default.

Then earlier this month, McMahon sued a Los Angeles hospital, claiming its doctors failed to diagnose his broken neck after a fall and discharged him without taking an X-ray.

He has said that the injuries from the fall have kept him from working and have contributed to him falling about $644,000 in arrears on the mortgage for the six-bedroom, five-bathroom home in an exclusive area of Beverly Hills.

(Reporting by Edith Honan, editing Michelle Nichols and Sandra Maler)

Is it ever going to end for this poor soul? This is what big hearted Ed gets for trying to help people. I hope he wins some money from his broken neck fall so he can pay everyone off and put all of this behind him. techsupport.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users