Welcome to Jerry Lewis Fans
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rocco A. Celeste dies at 86

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Guest_Findersassets_*

Guest_Findersassets_*
  • Guests
To all Members,

I am posting this with a heavy heart today.

I have personally known Rocco A. Celeste for well over 30 years and I called him Uncle Rocky out of deep respect.

I will miss his friendship, wise counsel,caring ways, and his great sense of humor. Thanks for all you did for JL and MDA and Jerry's Kids.

Rocco was the one who came up with the idea for summer camp for Jerry's Kids and started the first summer camp in Buffalo, NY:

I have been very honored and proud to have known him for as long as I did.

R.I.P. JOB WELL DONE!

MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY TO HIS WIFE SUSAN AND FAMILY:

Your friend in Dystrophy
Margaret Ann Galasso( Annie)

please see the following below:

Rocco A. Celeste, MDA regional director, firefighter

Updated: 08/15/08 6:47 AM

Nov. 17, 1921 Aug. 13, 2008

Rocco A. Celeste, the regional director of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and the Jerry Lewis Telethon for a quarter of a decade, died Wednesday in his East Aurora home. He was 86.

Mr. Celeste was born in Buffalo and grew up on the city's West Side. During World War II, he served as a private first class in the Army and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.

After the war, Mr. Celeste became a Buffalo firefighter. He also began doing volunteer work for muscular dystrophy.

He developed the idea for the "Fill the Boot" fundraising campaign, which caught on nationally. The Muscular Dystrophy Association recruited him to become a regional director for the Buffalo area.

After 25 years, Mr. Celeste retired from the Muscular Dystrophy Association. He then put his fundraising skills to work again by becoming the national telethon director for the March of Dimes, a position he held for 10 years.

Mr. Celeste also served as president and director of the Erie Community College Foundation. He was past president of the St. Francis Geriatric Center Foundation.

He was an auxiliary member of the Erie County Sheriff's Office and was a member of the Buffalo Canoe Club.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, the former Suzanne Childs; a daughter, Laurie Olivia; two sons, Rocco and James; a brother, Jean Coniglio; and a sister, Alice Luongo.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a. m. Aug. 30 in St. Mary Catholic Church, 6919 Transit Road, Swormville.

Edited by NuttyJerryFan, 01 September 2008 - 11:51 AM.
Unecessary information

Randy

Randy

• Veterans
  • 802 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Geisha Boy / The Bellboy
So sorry to read about his passing. My thoughts & prayers are with his family.
Randy

Mary

Mary

• Veterans
  • 355 posts
  • Favorite Jerry Lewis Movie?:The Delicate Delinquent
Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that. sad.gif I really don't know who he was, so thanks for posting that. I wonder if there will be a tribute to him, or a mention?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users